Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lens Optics Correction Revisited

Two days ago I posted an article called Lens Optics Distortion Correction. This is an update to that article.

After I installed the Photoshop and Lightroom updates, re-booted the computer, and restarted Photoshop and Lightroom, I found that no new camera or lens models had been installed. I searched the Adobe web site and found the Adobe Lens Profiler Downloader, which I installed. With that tool I found that the Canon 60D is not among the available camera models from Adobe. So my original comments on the distortion correction accomplished by these programs stands as written.

PTlens

I installed the trial version of PTlens, which allows you to correct 10 images before it expires. First you need to navigate to a folder that contains JPEG or TIFF images from your camera. It is unfortunate that it does not appear to work with camera RAW images. However, you can use either DPP (Canon), ViewNX 2 (Nikon), Photoshop, or another program to convert the RAW image into a TIFF, for example. I did that with the same test image and ran the PTlens default Barrel-Pincushion distortion correction. PTlens automatically saved the altered file under a new name that was easy to find.

PTlens detected the camera body model and lens right away, no downloads necessary. In a side-by-side set of before-and-after visual comparisons, the PTlens result was slightly different from the other 4 software packages previously tested. It was close to the DxO and DPP result, but still slightly different and quite possibly better. PTlens also includes perspective and chromatic aberration corrections, which I did not try. Photoshop has these as well. It appears that one must buy a separate DxO module to do perspective correction. If your lens is not already supported by PTlens, the developer will create calibration data from your images if specific criteria are met (http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/calOverview.html).

Of the 5 software packages I tested, DxO Optics and PTlens produced the best results, in my opinion. DxO Optics Pro is about $250 on amazon. PTlens is $25. PTlens doesn't have a super fancy user interface, but it gets the job done very well and I plan to purchase a license.

Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.

Stuck Offshore

No comments:

Post a Comment