Sunday, September 22, 2013

Finding Subjects to Photograph

Good subjects for photography are everywhere! Within walking distance of your house you should be able to find hundreds of potential subjects, dozens of interesting subjects, and maybe even a few really unusual ones. It comes down to developing your photographer's eye: looking at the world in a way such that you are constantly aware of interesting subjects.

Once you select a subject, take a few minutes to think about it. Observe the available light. Walk around the subject a bit to explore different possible angles. Watch out for annoying background distractions such as trash bins -- although you can edit out many things in post-processing, with a little care before taking the shot you won't have to.

I almost always take my camera with me. There is an old photographer's adage: the best camera is the one you have with you! You never know when an interesting subject will appear. As I left the fitness gym the other morning, I saw a nice green field nearby. I grabbed my camera and walked closer, and discovered the pond shown below. It was about 30 minutes past sunrise. In the distance you can see the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.
Philip Wheeler Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment