Monday, October 14, 2013

Saving Your Photos

Digital media isn't perfect. Computers crash. Disks fail. If you value your digital photos, you need to plan and implement a backup strategy for your files.

Planning a backup strategy is complicated by many factors. File naming conventions among digital cameras vary. A download from a Canon 60D results in one or more folders named with the date the photos were taken. A download from a Nikon (D40, D50, D200, D600) results in a numbered folder that contains the files. Usually the camera will number the photo files sequentially. For example, IMG_1685.CR2 or DSC_0012.NEF. However, on some DSLRs you can reset the numbering scheme to 0001 at any time. The file prefix, such as IMG, can also be changed in the camera menus.

My strategy is to use file folders that are named with the date that the photos were taken. This is the default Canon strategy. It takes a bit of extra effort after each Nikon download, but I think it is worthwhile. It works well with Lightroom Collections too, since a collection is just a set of links to the actual files, which can be scattered over many folders or disks.

Once the folders are on my main hard disk, I copy them to an external hard disk. This is my backup disk. I also use a networked hard disk. From the networked disk I can manipulate the RAW images from several computers. For example, I might start a batch of photos through lens perspective correction software on one PC while editing files on the other PC. My only concern is to back up original RAW files and any "finished" photographs after post-processing. Anything that can be recreated, such as perspective correction files, is not backed up.

Backup software could also be used. However, I prefer to control the process myself.

But things happen. This morning I noted that a file, IMG_00393.CR2, that I stored two years ago is now corrupt. My backup scheme failed since I had not manually backed up the file folder. I attempted to repair the file with disk recovery software RescuePRO Deluxe to no avail. Then I tried PHOTORECOVERY 2013 from L C Technology. Again, no luck.

Always back up your photos!

Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment