I initially decided on the D600 because I wanted the advantages of a full frame sensor as I start building my lens collection. Ultimately, camera bodies are upgraded every few years, but high quality glass lasts pretty much forever. In the long run your lenses will represent a more substantial investment than your camera.
Here are a few of the top rated Nikkor full-frame lenses:
Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 G ED N $2000
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II $2400
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/4 G ED VR $1400
Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4 G $1650
Canon has similar high quality, high priced lenses designated by "L" (Luxury). I considered the Canon 70D camera body, but DxOMark sensor ratings show that Nikon and Sony sensors consistently achieve the best results. I have no way to prove or disprove this. Subjectively, I like the results from the Nikon DSLRs (D7000, D600) better than some of those from my Canon 60D, although the 60D is a fine camera.
My current thinking is to purchase a Nikon D7100 body. It has a number of improvements over the D7000/D600/D610 models, such as 5-shot AEB, and without the anti-alias filter it is capable of sharper images. Over time I can purchase quality full-frame lenses as my budget will allow, and ultimately upgrade to a full-frame body that can take maximum advantage of the lens collection.
Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:
Post a Comment