Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Nikon D7100

I recently received my Nikon D7100 DSLR with its kit lens, an AF-S Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6. Right out of the box, I noticed that the lens did not come with a lens hood (Nikon NIHB32, $11.95 at B&H). In comparison, my D600 kit lens came with a lens hood. Bummer.

The 18-140mm lens is said to be sharper than its predecessor the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. It seems like a fine lens, given that its a consumer-type zoom lens. I can't say that it is better or worse.

Overall, I like the camera. The color rendition is very good. With a bit of study, the manual clearly reveals how to set the autofocus to smaller groups than all 51 points, and to a single point. Setting AF to a single, selectable point is necessary for well-focused images.

The Nikon D7000 has been well received, and the D7100 is very similar with some new features:
    - 24MP instead of 16MP
    - 51 focus points instead of 39

Two myths I've heard about the camera:

Myth #1: The D7100 has a GPS unit. GPS=Global Positioning System. The D7100 does not have a GPS unit, although you can buy one separately and plug it into camera's accessory terminal. The software supports the device and adds GPS data to your image's metadata. Not interesting to me.

Myth #2: The D7100 can wirelessly download its images to another device.  The standard D7100 does not include the Wireless Mobile Adapter, but it can be purchased separately and connected to the camera's accessory terminal. I see this as the wave of the future.

Since I've owned several Nikon digital cameras (D40, D50, D200, D600) the controls were mostly familiar. Two things caused me minor problems, however.

1. An entry in the copious menu system allows you to choose Auto ISO. This is NOT a good idea, since it applies to Manual mode as well as the programmed modes. Under the menu entry ISO Sensitivity Settings, you can turn this off. It still turns on when shooting in Automatic mode, as it should, but goes back to manual ISO in Manual mode.

2. By pushing the ISO button repeatedly while the screen is showing an image, my image playback screen switches to a calendar with a very tiny version of the last photo taken. I mean VERY tiny, such that perhaps 100 tiny images would fit on the back LCD! This is called thumbnail playback, and in my opinion it is worthless. Nevertheless, pushing the OK button on the multi-selector returns it to normal. Whew! Why anyone would want their DSLR to show them a calendar is beyond me, but the manual says it allows you to review or delete photos taken on a specific date. Odd.

Most annoying is the fact that the ISO setting is not shown in the viewfinder display. It is shown on the LCD screen on top of the camera, but without LCD backlighting it is impossible to view in a low-light situation. Hey, Nikon engineers: heads up!

Overall, I like the Nikon D7100 camera and highly recommend it. 


Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.


f/8.0, 1/3200, ISO 25600

Need your own photography Web site? I recommend SmugMug!

No comments:

Post a Comment