Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Nikon's 10-24mm Wide Angle Lens

I recently purchased Nikon's Nikkor AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Lens. I considered several other wide angle lenses and ultimately choose this one as a trade-off between price and the Nikon name.

My Nikon D7100 came with an 18-140mm lens. When I still had my Nikon D200, I also had a Nikkor 12-24mm wide angle lens, and I like having the wide angle capability. Unfortunately, both the D200 and lenses were stolen, and thus a new wide angle lens was needed.

It is worth noting that a wide angle lens is essentially a specialty lens. It is good for photographing landscapes, interiors, and architecture. It tends to emphasize the size of objects, making closer objects seem larger and far off objects seem rather small. A wide angle lens can often focus much closer to the subject than a typical medium zoom lens. If you need it, it's a must-have. But it is not what most people would normally want to keep on their camera body for everyday shooting.

In the following example, the photographs have not been corrected for lens aberration or perspective. Both are as-shot, straight from the camera's RAW images, to demonstrate the wide angle lens.

The photo below shows a Buddhist Temple. Note how close the flagpoles are to the steps. I really did not want the flagpoles in my photograph. So...


Out came the wide angle lens. The photograph below was taken with the camera on a tripod, positioned between the flagpoles and the Temple. Presto, no flagpoles! This was a perfect situation for a wide angle lens. (You can order a print here or here.)


Here are the wide angle lenses I considered and some notes on each.

Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED DX. This is one of the oldest DX-specific lens designs. As you may recall, DX refers to the cropped sensor, or APC sensor. FX refers to a full-frame sensor as large as a frame of 35mm film. The 12-24mm is a fine lens, and the price is about $1,100.

Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED DX. This is a newer design priced at about $800. One reviewer said that the extra 2 mm at the short end can make a big difference in your field of view as compared with the 12-24mm lens.

Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 G ED N. This is an FX lens, although it can be used on a DX camera. It has received great reviews and is highly recommended by many photographers. The price is about $2,000.

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC. It has received mixed reviews, with some buyers enthusiastic about it. When it was introduced, Nikon did not yet have their 10-24mm lens on the market. MRSP is $740. 

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX. At only $550, its the least expensive option. It has received many good reviews by verified purchasers.

Ultimately I selected the Nikkor 10-24mm. It has the Nikon brand, which should help resale value should I decide to sell it someday. And it is not too much more expensive than the Tokina and just over the price of the Sigma.

So far I've taken a few dozen test photographs, and I am pleased with the results. The extra 2mm on the low end is noticeable. It would have been very handy when I was photographing the interior of Swannanoa.

Copyright © 2013 Philip N. Wheeler. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment